I hate mathematics but I want to study accounting – what do I do?

Kate claims she hates the subject – Mathematics. But, right now, she wants to study Accounting.
Kate is currently in senior secondary school class II that is in the fifth year of her secondary education. This means she has one year to sit for the senior secondary school certificate examinations and graduate from the secondary education.
She came across a guidance and counselling master, who has just been posted from the city to her (village) school. In one of his lessons, the G & C teacher told the commercial students the subjects required to study accounting in the higher institution. To her amazement, Kate was told that the subject – Mathematics – was ranked second among the O’Level subjects required to study accounting. She went home bizarre that faithful day.
The question now is “what should Kate do to be able to study accounting in the higher institution?”
The answer is within her! She does not hate Mathematics. I can confess this to you. I am not there with her. But I know it.
Kate probably hates the teacher who taught them Mathematics. The approach of the teacher in the teaching of Mathematics was not acceptable to her or to the students, including Kate. I know this! How did I know it? I have taught Mathematics for years before now. And many students would always have a negative comment or the other to make about the subject – Mathematics
During my years of teaching this subject, I understood that many students had already developed negative feeling towards the subject. I did all I could to change their perception of the subject. I showed them that Mathematics was the simplest subject among the subjects required for their chosen careers. How? If the answer in a Mathematics question is 25, for instance, so it will be in any part of the world you may take it to. This is not so about other subjects.
Mathematics has defined rules, formulas, approaches, etc. towards every problem. This was what I told Kate to change her mindset towards the subject. She agreed to me, after an elaborate interview carried out to elicit information from her as to why she hated the subject that the approach of the teacher could not make them understand it. Rather, they had to give up everything about the subject.
What Kate needs now is to first, forgive her current Mathematics teacher and try to learn the subject from another teacher who can teach it.

Comments